Monday, August 30, 2010

Reading is Fundamental Day 16

Ok, so I was nervous and anxious all day like a kid at Christmastime. I even left work ten minutes early. I was so excited and ready to be an adult learner. And well, I didn't follow rule number one: read class information carefully. Your girl went to the wrong building. In my defense, I went to the building of the specific college that I am a student of. However, I read the wrong line of my syllabus and got the professor's office confused with where the class was. And of course, I had to walk past two buildings up a hill to get to the right building. I was so hurt, embarassed, and disappointed in myself. Thankfully, I met nice people along the way that helped me find my way. Oh, and I forgot to mention it took me about eight minutes to find a park, so when I left my car I had like two minutes to spare.

So probably 10-12 minutes into it, I got to class. Thankfully again, another woman was walking in with me. There were two other women that showed up later than me and my potential late partner in crime. I was so sweaty and flustered by everything that it took me a few minutes before my hand could stop shaking and I could take notes.

The silver lining of all of this is I still have the makings of a being a good student. When asked who read the syllabus prior to class, I proudly raised my hand with most of the class. When asked who downloaded the E-Reserve materials for the class, I, along with one other person, raised my hand. I also took almost three pages of notes of everything the professor was brain farting. During the break, I felt like a fish out of water when I realized that I may be the only person in the class that is not a teacher or some who works for the school system. This is not good for me because we have to pick groups for our major project in a few weeks and like the wimpy kid in little league, I'm afraid no one would pick. We have the option to work alone, so like Neyo, I can be 'a movement by myself.' But I'd rather have some help.

Overall, it was an okay first class. I know I shouldn't let the beginning of my journey reflect my view of the whole thing, but I just feel stupid. How could I not know where I was going? I don't know.

Here is my grateful list:
  • Nice people with tissue.
  • That I read some of chapter one prior to class.
  • Great support system with the most encouraging words.
TTYL!

2 comments:

  1. Going to the wrong building is normal for any student in a new college setting. I've done it plenty of times. Even while I was at Ashland, a small college. It's just the first day don't get caught up. I'm sure you will find this segment of learning easier than it was during undergrad. You're more mature now and know what it takes. You'll probably wonder why you didn't ace all of your undergrad courses with a breeze. Enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Props for the Ne-Yo shout out--And don't worry, you will find that in grad school, lots of people feel out of it. Trust me on this.

    You are a great student. And you will meet people as the term goes on. I know how you feel-I had 7 group projects in my first term and I didn't know anyone. I was ready to do the work on my own. But group projects are a great way to meet people. Plus, in grad school, people are more focused on getting their work done-so you probably won't have that undergrad group nonsense where certain members don't pull their share...Remember we were group partners for our Psych project?

    ReplyDelete