Monday, August 16, 2010

Grateful Girl Day 2

Well, like the usual fabrics of my life, I get tested on things almost as soon as learn them. In the last post, I told you that I went to two emotions courses last week and wouldn't you know that I would feel every emotion but the right ones within my first hour of being at work. The place I have to apply my learning is the place that helped lead me to having to learn those skills.

When I got to work, I had the positivity and optimism of all the birds and mice that worked for Cinderella. Waiting for my computer to load up, I experienced an burst of annoyance only Joan Crawford would understand. Between people leaving papers and notes on my desk and a file not having all of the right information, I felt like a character out of the bible looking first God for aid and help. Although I started going off on everything and everyone in my head, I remembered something I learned in class and other sources: take a breath. I quickly trained my mind to concentrate at the task at hand and to deal with life as it comes and in that moment, life was handing me the lemons to make awesome lemonade, if I chose to. I'm happy to report I chose to...all day. That doesn't mean I was fake or a door mate. When I had moments where I had to stick up for myself, I used the facts of the situations to help make my point and I realized how much better that worked and sounded versus me going, "but I don't wanna."

Here are things I am grateful for today:
  1. Breathing
  2. Extended deadlines
  3. Books on CD
  4. Meeting new people, particularly men. As scared as I am to join the world of dating again, it feels good to be asked. 4b. Making friends with a co-worker and her thinking of me and my singleness. If the guy didn't remind of my father looks wise, I would have hollered. Yes, I have a think about that and maybe too many Lifetime Movies and the movie, Precious are to blame.
  5. Family returning safely from trips.
  6. Clearance candles from Target. Definitely need to go back and get the entire collection of Sonoma Pear-wonderful scent.
  7. Everyone who has taken the time to ask me about school. Thanks for the support-so needed.
Have a wonderful, thankful night.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, you and I must get together. I am so proud that you are able to apply what you are learning. But somehow, I wish I had a little more of you in me - I think i am one of those doormats you mentioned. What advice you got for me? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny(ironic) you mention dude looks like your dad 'cause I have observed how some women will gravitate towards men that look like or have features similar to their dad or brothers. I've never really subscribed to that for my taste, however, I have subconsciously done it a couple times.

    ReplyDelete