Sunday, August 15, 2010

In the Mood for Gratitude Day 1

Hello all! There are many reasons behind the title and theme of the next 30 days of blog posts. The first reason is because on Wednesday one of my friends from college posted a gratitude post on her Facebook status. On her status, she said she was going to list three things she was grateful for the next 28 days. From what I've seen she has kept her word.

The other two reasons for my gratitude posts are because of two emotions classes I've taken on Thursday and Friday. The Thursday class was called How to Manage Emotions Under Pressure and Excel in the Workplace. In case you couldn't tell by the title, I was kind of mandated by my job to take. But when it was suggested that I take a course like that, I wasn't too offended by it. I know that I am an emotional person. I feel things deeply, especially things you shouldn't feel so deep. My job doesn't know this but I have been praying about being a more positive person and I desperately want to make my own weather and want it to be warm everyday. This class had the homework of doing something you've learned in class. I decided to do the gratitude/thankful journal and also smile more in the workplace no matter what. The other class I took was I class that wasn't court ordered. It was called Emotional Intelligence, Tolerance, & Diversity for the White Guy. The instructor had to change the last portion of the title to 'Diversity for Everyone' just to teach the class at the location it was held. It was a great class and focused on your emotions and what happens to your body when you have terrible emotions. The section on diversity didn't talk about diversity in the typical way. It talked about the way a harasser-bully-bigot thinks and what goes through their mind and it all tied back to the Emotional Intelligence concept.

Based on all of those events, I decided to blog about what I am grateful for for the next 30 days. I know that means actually blogging but I think I could handle it. I learning that my entries do not have to be the long epics that they've been so I would love to accept this challenge. I will always have three things, but maybe more depending on time and what happened that day. I also hope that these entries will help my closeness with God. One of my other major prayers has been to see the woman that God sees in me. People in my life have helped with this recently, but I need to see through God's glasses everyday.

Here are the things I am grateful for today:
1. The option to go to 8 a.m. service at my church (love it).
2. A great friend in Terra.
3. The ability to throw things away. TV shows like Hoarders make me thankful that today I was able to clear half of a shelf of my bookcase without a second thought.
4. Things coming to pass in my friend's and families lives. Spiritual gifts being displayed and my sister FINALLY going to Disneyland...so happy for her. Out of all of us she has always wanted to go and now she's there. Hope you're having fun.

That's all for now. Have a blessed week and I can't wait to change my perspective for the next 30 days.

2 comments:

  1. Jennie, this is awesome! Definitely the attitude to have! We all have something to be thankful for! I am looking forward to your change too. Joy is yours and always within reach. It was great seeing and talking to you this weekend. Keep your head up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this idea. I have been in a bit of a funk of late and having something like this to remind me of all of the things Ihave to be thankful for will definitely help bring me out of it. I do want to say that I abhor the use of the word "tolerance". Always have...other than the cute alliteration ("teach tolerance") that phrase has nothing to offer us and it bugs me every time I see it. I don't like the idea that someone thinks they have to "tolerate" me. A bad haircut has to be tolerated. Something that tastes nasty has to be tolerated. There is nothing bad about me, or women, or fat people, or whomever. The person receiving the negative treatment should not have to wear the label. Its the attitude of the "treater" that is the problem. I want to start an all out campaign to change that from "teach tolerance" to "encourage empathy" or some such. Anyway, i digress...(haha)

    ReplyDelete