Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Getting A Grip on Gratitude Day 3

Tonight I was asked by a friend what I was grateful for today. I told him what I was grateful for in that moment, but truthfully, I thought about what I was going to post tonight all day. At random times at work, I was sitting at my desk thinking, "what am I grateful for today?" I think, as my title suggests, I need to get a grip on this grateful goal. I thought so much about it that I probably didn't live in the moment(s) at all today. However, I do think this challenge is working because I was thinking about what to be grateful for so much that I didn't have a lot of negative thoughts. In fact, I think I was a normal human being today, still equip with my genuine emotions and funny outlook on life. And to think, I thought this kind of existence was myth.

I hoping this challenge can help me be a person that I would even want to be around. Have you ever asked yourself, 'would I be friends with me if I wasn't me?' I suggest you ask yourself that and make a list, one side with all the reasons you would be your friend and the other side with the reasons you wouldn't be friends with yourself. I didn't make such lists because I didn't have to. God has been opening my eyes for months now on how I can be a better person and love myself more. It scared me at first. What if I really didn't like myself once I started changing? But once my ego and fear get out of the way, I realized that with God's guidance, I can be a different better person and that doesn't mean changing every little thing. So I have a lot riding on this challenge...in fact, a key friendship is at stake here!

Here are the things I am grateful for today:
  • Total Body Toning (Paulie's the best)
  • My arms thanks to Total Body Toning class
  • Good hair day
  • Not lying to Ryan about what I was going to put on this list
  • Quizno coupons
  • Text messaging
  • Being told you're beautiful by an unexpected person
  • Agreeing with my mother on two things today.
Have a great evening and keep smiling!

1 comment:

  1. Would I be friends with myself if I was someone else? Possibly but that does make cause for further investigation. Great question! I'm going to sit down and ponder that on the real in the near future 'cause I know there are things I can improve upon.
    Don't stress the gratefulness/thankfulness too much! Just let it flow. You have plenty to be thankful for; just do not worry about its significance or trying to get a certain number of things, etc.
    Your end goal is to be positive, humble and forever grateful for what you have been blessed with in your life because it can easily be taken away.

    ReplyDelete