Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Thought It Was Just Me Wednesday - Listening and Powerful People

This is the second installment of I Thought It Was Just Me Wednesday! Yeah! For those new to the website, Wednesday is the day I share with you scripture that I found where me and God are total agreement on the topic. These scriptures I would agree with even if I wasn't a Christian or never read the bible. I have two for you today, which are from a New Living Translation bible.

Psalm 146:3 - Don't put your confidence in powerful people; there is no help for you there.
This scripture would have gotten an 'Amen' from me even before the recession. I don't mean to put down powerful people with this scripture reference. Some powerful people out there really do use their powers for good and not evil and can be trusted. However, believing every little thing they say is foolish. This is where your own wisdom and discernment have to kick in and make the decision whether to trust or not trust. The one reason I love this scripture is because a couple lines later it tells why you should be confident in the Lord versus people. In Psalm 146:5 it states, 'But joyful are those who have the God of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God.' God is the ultimate helper and has all of the power, as I mentioned in an earlier post. I pray for God's confidence almost daily because the world is hard to face and I know my strength without him would easily get me knocked down. Let God direct you toward to the powerful people that can help you and have your back just as God would.

Proverbs 18:13 - Spouting off before listening to the facts is both shameful and foolish.
Although I agree with this scripture, I don't always follow it. I'm the person that gets an email, looks for key words, and responses about 50% of the time. And of course, I have a 1,000 questions about it when really I could have finished the email and answered my own questions. Listening is one of most important skills you can possess. There are several resources and websites that talk about how to be a better listen. Being a Communication Major, the most helpful advice I can give you to improve in this area is to just shut up and hear the other person out. The only way to build a relationship is to get to know the person by...wait for it...wait for it...LISTENING TO THEM! I noticed I've been cutting people off alot lately, so if I do it to you, please tell me to shut up. I mean it. Just tell me, but for listening to you purposes only - not just because! I'll let you know when telling me to shut up starts to hurt my feeling, which should be the trigger for me not to cut you off anymore. I encourage you to tell the people in your life to put you on blast if you are guilty of this as well.

As always, let me know your thoughts on these scriptures. Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jennie, great scriptures. I'll be sure to follow your advice and tell you to shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie, awesome scriptures. Fully put our confidence in the Lord! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much that the first passage from Psalms can teach about relationships with powerful people or people with authority. However, the thing it makes me think about instantly, is your lesson from last week about the scripture that says human help is useless.
    It is easy to become dependent on powerful people and we forget that these powerful people are still, well, people. Very much human. And very capable of failing. So when the letdown happens, we get so messed up because of our dependence. With God, there is no "letdown", just our own disappointments, especially when He reveals His mysterious ways to us and then we realize He was looking out for us all along. Powerful people can help sometimes but God can help all the time. Why would we go to anyone else, lol? (rhetorical question)
    my two cents

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennie,
    You're off to a great start. I enjoyed reading and reflecting on your thoughts. I hope you continue to share your insightful thoughts so that others can benefit form thr lessons they so desperately need to learn.

    ReplyDelete