Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Thought It Was Just Me Wednesdays

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I am currently reading through the bible. The best part about reading the bible is finding scriptures that I never knew were in the bible and describe how I already feel about a certain subject. One goal that I had for this blog was to have a theme for one day of the week. I also wanted to introduce my readers to scripture, but not in a typical bible study feel. As a result, I will post a blog every Wednesday called I Thought It Was Just Me to showcase some of those scriptures that made me stop and say, 'I thought it was just me who thought this way'. Today, I have three scriptures for you.

Psalms 60:11 - Oh, please help us against our enemies, for all human help is useless.
I would like to focus on the second part of that statement, for all human help is useless. I remembered reading this scripture and laughing out loud. I think it's because I had a bad day where human help was definitely useless at the time. I think this is a scripture we can all relate to because it's honest look at human behavior and how people truly tend to let us down sometimes we give them every benefit of the doubt. This scripture rings in my head whenever I receive poor customer service, when I have to work with others and they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about, and ultimately, when someone lets me down in a major way. This scripture also refers back a previous where I talked about God's power. Why go to other people when you have a problem? Instead, just drop to your knees and go to the man with ultimate power.

Proverbs 11:15 - There's danger in putting up security for a stranger's debt; it's safer not to guarantee another person's debt.
Translation to Jennie: No co-signing! This blog is not an advice column by any means. I'm just telling you what I read. I don't care if Roscoe has to take the bus for another year, I'm not signing off on his Hyundai and possibly ruining my good standing credit. Sorry Roscoe!

Proverbs 23:13-14 - Don't fail to discipline your children. They won't die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death.
As a single woman with no children, I am NEVER allowed to say ANYTHING about how people raised their kids. Although I was once a child myself, which you would think could make me a subject matter expert, I can't say anything. However, God can say something and I think he did with this powerful scripture. It's OK to set rules and tell your children no. I love the part about how discipline can save them. I totally agree. If you learn at home how to behave and see that behavior modeled properly at home, then it can save you from acting stupid outside of the home and possibly having major consequences depending on the behavior.

Let me know your thoughts on I Thought It Was Just Me Wednesdays and also how you feel about the scriptures mentioned above. Have a great day and as always, thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great scriptures. Lots of common sense in God's Words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jennie El', you continue to impress! You are coming strong and daily at that too! I admire the literary energy and stamina, I really do because I am mentally drained at the end of some of my days. But enough schmoozing lol...
    Human help can do some things but in the grand scheme of things, it is really unnecessary. God can do all things if we let Him. That scripture reminds me of that new Mary Mary song, "It's the God in Me", I think that's the title.
    You have preached Proverbs 11:15 to me and I agree on that even tho' I'm a trustworthy beneficiary of a co-signing lol. I'm not gonna front tho', I do worry about my parents perfect credit if something happened to me that I could not work. Less than 3.5 yrs to go on the car! Pray for me!
    As for discipline, I don't care. I'm not tellin' anyone what to do but wrong is wrong and my partially free tell-it-like-it-is pass as an educator self-entitles me to make comments to the parent or child in the most non-invasive way possible lol. Humor!

    ReplyDelete