Monday, September 21, 2009

Finding God Attractive...

One way that I am trying to be more Christian and less cleavage is reading through the One Year Bible. I'm happy to report that I am on task for this year. Reading through the bible has been an amazing experience. I wish someone would have told me how the Old Testament was the original US Weekly. I could just imagine if there were a magazine back then the headlines that would stem from it.
"Don't Complain...You'll Get Wiped Out!"
"Jacob to Leah, 'the kid is not my son!'"
"Leah fires back to Jacob, "He's got your eyes, nose, and jaw structure, you idiot!"
"Second Time Around: Special 10-page spread of Boaz and Ruth's Wedding."
I mean, could you imagine? I can't say at this point if I have a favorite book of the bible because I want to give every book equal opportunity to impress me. Look for my decision in a blog toward the beginning of next year.
As a Christian, you are supposed to want God more than anything. More than money or silver and gold (or diamonds and pearls according to Prince). God is supposed to come before family, friends, and career. I can honestly say that in my life I don't always think of God first. I'm thinking of him more, but not always first. A few months ago I wrote in my journal about how I wasn't attracted to God. I felt silly writing it for several reasons. The main reason is because God has all the power. He can do anything. If I were a typical American, a powerful man would definitely win my heart. However, God's power doesn't always grab me and maybe it's because God can't physically grab me. What I don't think God understands is that human touch factor that He can't provide like a real human. Single people are always told to wait on God, but the person we shouldn't be with sometimes win over God because waiting sucks number one and you can't hold on to anything physically when you're waiting. So, how can I hold God? Well readers, I'm still trying to figure that out. One way to build any relationship is to get to know the other person. Reading the One Year Bible has definitely helped with that. It has given me a deeper respect and understanding of God and Jesus and it's teaching me how to love the people in my life. More tomorrow on my Ross and Rachel relationship with God. Have a blessed day!

5 comments:

  1. Great Blog, I particularly enjoy the title. Who'd a thunk it? Anyway, your post is real. Its easier said than done when it comes to waiting on God in any form (some want to touch another person, some want to be touching on cash...). Getting to know Him is where it all starts. That is where I am, the beginning. I'll be back to check out your blog. Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.............

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your US Weekly-Bible Spoof--Hilarious! I've read the entire Bible twice, once where the reading plan jumped around the Bible and last year, when I read it straight through. It was definitely an experience reading it straight through, but well worth it! I really related to the Book of Ecclesiastes. It describes a lot of my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol you are preaching to the choir. for me, i'm "trying" to take a faith walk. to me, that's the only way. you can study the bible upside-down, do this and do that but at some point you just gotta really trust Him with your heart, soul, and spirit when worldly wisdom would say otherwise and let Him lead you. In my personal experience, the uncertainty is not always fun, a little scary in different ways, almost always adventurous but it's definitely rewarding after you take a step forward. And it's eye-opening when you take a step back or you start drowning like Peter.
    Flesh vs Spirit, it's a daily battle but it will be fought whether you take part or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennie,
    Your heart really does speak to the dilemma. It is so hard to wait. I want a child like, but I don't want the hassle or the bad choice of a husband. I don't know how God is going to work that out. I wait... I really appreciate your openness.

    ReplyDelete