Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I Thought It Was Just Me Wednesday - Multi-Purpose Faith

The scripture I want to focus on today is one that I sent a friend via text message in July. I told him that this scripture describes the foundation of our relationship perfectly.

Romans 1:12 - When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours.

Upon re-reading it today, this scripture really symbolized to me that my faith, salvation, and the grace and mercy that God gives me is not all for me. It's really for others. It's easy to say that you should encourage one another, but what does that really mean? I know for me it means that when I get together with my friends, family, or people at work, I should try uplift their spirits, hopes, dreams, and desires as much as possible. Instead of quickly judging and giving my input on what they want, I should take the time and listen to them for understanding rather than evaluation. It also requires me to be honest with them in regards to what I am encouraging them to do and in a loving way.

On the other side of this coin, you should also be encouraged by the people around you - this is the 'all about you' part! You have to take a look at the people you're hanging around and ask yourself, 'should I really be around these people? Do they bring me down or lift me up? ' Also, in regards to being encouraged by someone else's faith, ask yourself what do the people around you want out of life? I'm not saying that everyone should want to make lots of money or live in the biggest house, but they should be striving for something and more importantly, they should believe that God is able to do anything. I am often encouraged by the faith of my friends. When my friends are passionate about something, they will pray heaven in order for something to happen with it and that encourages me. I don't want to hang with people who have given up and don't believe in anything other than today. So people watch the company you keep and pray for discernment about those people who are not encouraging you or themselves.

This scripture reminds me of 'it's better to give than to receive' in a sense because on one side, you want to be the one who encourages the other person, but then you also want to be encouraged. So which side should you want to be on? Truthfully, both are great. Sharing encouragement with another person is a beautiful thing. When you genuinely want the best for another person and pray that their deepest desires come to pass, you've hit the Christian Jackpot! Because that's when your heart contains everything God wants you to have. That's when you'll feel closest to God because every moment of every day God wants the best for us.

So when you have someone in your life that is speaking life into you, praying for you, and giving you that one-on-one encouragement, thank God for them. And don't forget to do your part and encourage them back. As always, leave a comment with your thoughts on this blog entry and share an experience of being encouraged or being the one to encourage. God bless you!

3 comments:

  1. One moment that comes to mind is when I was on the poetry scene several years ago. I got on stage and performed my piece. Then a couple performers later, a regular came on stage and indirectly called me out and my style of prose. I did not react because I did not know nor was aware he was talking about me. Then, another performer, another regular, came to the stage and not-so-indirectly ridiculed the other guy for being intolerant of diverse styles. And then looking at me, encouraged me to continue bringing my style of prose. At that moment, I understood what was going on. After the show, my encourager and other people in the crowd came by to confirm their support of my literary work, citing things that they like about my poetry, presentation and delivery.
    I do not know how I would have reacted if I caught on to the hate I was receiving right away (I like to think I have thick skin but even that can still be penetrated) but at the end of the day, I was glad to know that it was nothing but hate, unearned and baseless criticism.
    From my encourager, the deeper lesson I got is that by being true to myself and my convictions, it will in one way or another, force people off the fence and show their true feelings about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several years ago I was being battered by life. Life was too big. My best thinking only served to make matters worse.

    The story is a familiar one. Some super hot chick had dumped me. Desperation demanded I get her back. I was not a pretty picture. College classes no longer mattered. I didn't care to arrive at work in a timely matter. I drank much more, I partied much more and I pitied myself something awful.

    Word spread that I was a mess.

    That's when it happened. One afternoon I pulled into the parking lot of Krispy Cream Donuts. My old football, baseball and basketball coach pulled in and parked next to me. When he exited his car I shockingly noticed he was crying.

    All he said was, "Tuffy, I am worried about you" After that he got into his car and drove off.

    Stunned back into reality I resolved to get over that "Hottie" and get busy getting my life back.

    There must be something special about tears, particularly male ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true. Everyone's pot gets empty sometimes. Put some back from time to time.
    (smile)

    ReplyDelete