Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Have Not Forgotten You

Hi all! I want to take a break from the regularly scheduled program of 'I Thought It Was Just Me Wednesday'. Don't worry. Next week, I will bring back the regularly scheduled program of a new verse that I find interesting from the bible.

This blog topic has been on my mind for the past week. It started last week with a thought that I had on my way to work. Well, actually more like a fantasy. On my way to work I think mostly think about what it would be like to not have to go to my job anymore. Not because of a layoff or insubordination, but in my fantasy, I am actually doing one of my many dream careers. Don't get me wrong. The job I have now is one of my dream careers. I love certain aspects of my job, but really if I could do my job and work within my own schedule it would be sweet!

On any given day, I am grateful for the moments that remind me of the dreams that I have in my heart. Let me give you a few examples.

On the drive to work - when I hear a song that love on the radio, it reminds me of my dream of working in the music industry as songwriter, producer, or some other music exec. Also, the not so glamorous fantasy of being a record store owner like John Cusack's character in High Fidelity.

Yesterday I attended a baby shower at work and that reminded me of my dream of being a mom. Also, any time I talk to my sister and her kids are making noises in the background - I don't smile with jealousy. I smile and laugh in anticipation for what I want.

Discussing the upcoming wedding of a co-worker reminds me of my desire to be marriage. The smile and joy on her face is priceless and I can't wait to have a priceless smile. Also, the desire to be in love again and for myself, having the hope that 'next time it will be different'.

Looking at the lives of some of my friends on Facebook remind me of my dreams to travel and hopefully live somewhere else. Nothing is wrong with Akron, but in an earlier post, I mentioned my desire to go to California and how that hasn't gone away.

The last desire I have is of course writing. I probably get reminded of this dream the most not just because of the books I've read recently, but because of the TV shows, NPR programs, and church sermons I listen to. There are so many people out there that get paid and recognized for the words they say or write it's amazing and it's everywhere. My first love was definitely words that's for sure (sorry to the guy out there that thought that would be personal shout out him).

I call this blog post, 'I Have Not Forgotten You', because during that 25 minute drive to work I make sure that I don't forget the real dreams that are in my heart but live out those dreams even if in my mind. When I have weeks like this week where my days are longer, several deadlines and nothing's done, and I go home to an empty apartment with no one to unload on, I need those dreams. In fact, some days I need them more than food and air. T.D. Jakes once said, "A dream is God telling you how your story ends." I pray that God will let some of these things come to pass for me and if he doesn't, I have to trust that he has reasons.

I hope you don't mind me reflecting on what I hope to come. I know I've mentioned some of these things in past blogs, but it's important that you remind yourself of your dreams. For the past couple of days, I've been feeling like I am just going through the motions, so I need to remind myself that the motions of life change constantly and it's to me to ensure my life is moving and changing toward the dreams that I have for myself. You can't live by someone else's expectation for you. You have to live by what God is telling you and by what you have in your heart. Please share your thoughts on this blog and reflect on any dreams that you hope will come soon.

3 comments:

  1. Jennie, I completely feel you and understand. Been there, sometimes still there, done that, and moving away from it.
    You have to be you and do you. Pray for guidance and start making plans and taking steps towards your dreams/goals. You are going to have supporters/haters no matter what you decide to do or how well/poor you do it.
    Just like you did for this blog, pray, study and do your homework, plan out your course of action, and then just do it! Continue to learn and get better. Of course, more work may follow than what has for the blog but work and struggle are part of the process. No pain, no gain. No guts, no glory.
    I know you challenged yourself or dedicated Wednesday to blogging no matter what. Do not worry if you have to take a Wednesday or two off from the gameplan. Or even if it is for a long time.
    Nothing on this physical plane is meant to last, except what we do for Christ. It's also good to recognize when you are in a season of change. So, either allow change to take place or become the change you want to be/see. God Bless and ttyl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Keeping dreams alive is a hard. I know personally. It's tough when you put your dreams out there because people start to ask you how you are doing with those and that is not easy when those dreams haven't come true. I often wonder what does God want me to do with my dreams? I'm like, "I have gifts, talents, desire....why won't it all come together? What do you want me to do with this?" Writing is one of my dreams. I have at least six books I would like to write. I have even outlined some of them. Like you said, so many people get paid for their words. I hope that will one day be me. I know you have the same aspirations. Well, let me stop with my on and on....Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. It's always good to remind yourself of your dreams because you'll have days where you do nothing that is close to your goals and dreams and it makes you feel you forgot them when real you're just dealing with life. James, I hope you do write a book. Your testimony is so strong and powerful and I know it can help others. Thanks for the support Lorans. You're one of the smartest people I know. I can't wait to see you live out all of your dreams.

    ReplyDelete