Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I Thought It Was Just Me Wednesday - Your Unique Heart

Hi everyone! Sorry I didn’t write yesterday. I had an idea, but I haven’t flushed it out yet. I’m hoping it will be my topic tomorrow. Today is Wednesday and you know what happens on Wednesday. This is where I share scriptures that I would agree with even if I wasn’t a Christian. I only have one for you today.

Proverbs 14:10 – Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can fully share its joy.
In the last post, I quoted Psalm 33:15 about God understanding everything in our hearts. Well, the thing you have to realize is that all of our hearts have different things in them. So what makes you happy may not make me happy. I may cry (or want to cry) when my favorite musical artist doesn’t win a Grammy Award and you may cry (or want to cry) when your favorite team loses a competition. Basically, we’re all wired differently. As much as you may be like one of your parents or a sibling, you are not them. This scripture is powerful because it reminds you that you can’t treat everyone exactly the same because you might not get the react you’d expect. Yes, as Christians, we are called to love one another, but you are going to love people differently.

If you’ve never read it or took the assessment, I recommend the book, The Five Love Languages (sorry, I’m blanking on the author). It lists and details the five love languages and you take an assessment to see what your love language is. This book not only helped me get to know how to love others based on their love language, but it helped me to get to know how I want and desire to be loved. This scripture also hints to the fact you are responsible for knowing how your heart works. You have to know yourself. The Bishop of my church once said, “You can’t know who you are without knowing who God is. You can’t know who God is until you know who you are.” By knowing who you are, you will know what kind of love to accept and what kind of love you can’t tolerate. This will also help you establish boundaries with others as well.

In other posts, I mentioned the importance of building relationships with other by listening to them. Once you know how your heart works, share that information with those close to you so that you can avoid any confusion or possible misunderstandings. If I know something offends you, then I’m not going to mention it and do that action (at least not intentionally).

This scripture is a huge wake-up call to me to learn more about the people I love so that our relationship can be stronger. I’m also praying that my heart can continue to learn to accept love that is of God and deny love that is not of God. I hope you continue to pray with me and for me as we all take this walk together. Please let me know your thoughts on the scripture.


3 comments:

  1. Jennie, thanks for sharing that scripture. I have never read it before. I will definitely read and meditate on it. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You totally hit me with something new! Never heard of it. I will definitely check out the five love languages. It sounds very self-improvement-like and I'm definitely on that! I've read that scripture before but never heard of the book. Definite pick-up! Good-lookin' out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, I'm enjoying the scripture references. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete