Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fighting the Urge

As a Christian (and human to be perfectly honest), I find myself fighting several urges throughout the day. The reason I'm even fighting these urging because my understanding of God's word and the realization that these things I think about and want to do I shouldn't (Okay can't) do. Although I am not finished reading the bible, I already have a good dose of what God expects of me and other Christians. In fact, there are some days when I think, "If I see the words 'love', 'patient', and 'wait' in this book one more time, I'm going to lose it!" Seriously, I get where God is coming from. It's just hard to put some of these things in application.

Let me walk you through my day. Here are some of the urges I fight every day of my life:
  • Cussing
  • Giving unsolicited advice
  • Trying to change other people
  • Telling people what I really think about things
  • Telling people what I really think about them
  • Sexual temptation
  • Negativity
  • Jealousy
  • Food (eating whatever I want in whatever quantity I want)
I mentioned food last because I lost my fight to food last night and for lunch today. Last night at church all I could think about was a burger. A Rally's burger to be exact. Although I promised myself this week I would eat what's at home and not have any takeout, I REALLY wanted a burger. So after church I went to the gas station that was located far from the Rally's (so not to be tempted), but I couldn't shake this burger thing. So I decided to just go to the McDonalds down the street and get my burger - and fries of course! And when I got home, I enjoyed my burger. And since I already ate one apple - I mean burger, I got another (this time Wendy's) burger. I had salads for dinner and lunch since Monday, so the burgers were the biggest amount of fat I ate all week and I plan on eating a salad tonight for dinner. Even with my justification, I lost this battle, but I give myself props for the ones I did win today like some I mentioned above.

It is really hard to fight the urges that I have, even when the outcome good or bad doesn't affect other people. There will be a day, however, that my choice of urges I give into will affect others. For example, when I get married. Anyone who knows me know how much I would like to be married someday. In fact, if I were running for Miss America, my campaign would be based around rather than a real charity. Joyce Meyers reminded me of the 1 peter 3:1, which talks about a woman winning over her unbelieving husband by her respectful, Godly behavior rather than her words. I feel that even if your husband is a believer, it is still good in regards to men to lead by example. Sometimes, if you come at a man too hard with your words, he will not listen. Some days I wonder if it's my behavior that is not allowing me to be married and some days that answer is yes. If I can't handle fighting some of my urges to say or do certain things single, then having a man in my life is not going to make it better or make my life whole.

I think that the ability to fight some of these urges builds character and helps you mature. It is hard to have to mature and be every single day. Some days I wish I could go back to the school playground where you can say unlimited 'Your momma's' and talk about anyone that you want. On the playground, boys hit you if they like you. As an adult, boys don't hit you. Instead, they ask questions and want to get to know you - the good ones anyway. I know for myself, there's the fear that I don't answer the questions 'correctly' and that ultimately the guy will see the mental case I can be at times and walk away. So in those instances, I fight the urge to A) tell everything about myself in one sitting and B) try to at least think through what I am going to say to avoid the perception of being a mental case!

As always, let me know your thoughts on this post and what urges you fight daily/weekly/monthly. I'm going to start writing back to some of your comments. Being new to blogging, I wasn't sure if I should. On some site, people comment on their own blogs and some don't. I decided today that I want to be one of the ones that do because of the great phone calls and emails I have about some of the post. Also, because of the great comments people write. I read all of them so people keep writing them. Thanks and have a blessed evening (or day if you read it tomorrow).

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could say "I can't relate to anything she's saying", but I can't. I fight hard EVERYDAY. I work in a customer satisfaction position. They call with problems and expect - sometimes demand - them to be fixed. Its all I can do somedays to remember who created me and who I belong to. To remember when this conversation is over I still have a much higher authority I am trying to please. Glad to know its not just me .... on a Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie, I fight urges all the time. Specifically with the eating. This week I have come to the conclusion there are a few things that I just cannot eat in moderation. For now I am eliminating them from the menu. I also have the strong desire to have a child. Everyone seems to be popping them out like popcorn, but I really want to honor God. I also want a husband. I want to give in, but what I have experienced, the men are nothing but warm bodies compared to what God has for me. I know what the best is, and I can say that is not for me. Be encouraged! I am sorry I have been reading daily, but as the semester progresses the assignments and reading increases. Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny you mentioned food 'cause I fell off the wagon a couple weeks ago. A while ago, I vowed to not eat food past midnight; and for a few nights in a row, I did; which caused me to stay up even longer and messed up my whole rhythm.
    Yeah, I fight some of the same urges every day. Cussing, sexual temptation, negative thinking, food, procrastination. Some days are better than others. The key thing for me is that no matter how good or bad a day I have, I do not give up or quit trying to live Christ-like.
    This reminds me of the scripture that says "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak". So we must constantly and continuously pray for strength to fight off temptations. Good post! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That include's calling home more offten...............

    ReplyDelete