Monday, December 7, 2009

I'm Sober...Oh So Sober

Just getting home from work, I have a unique wish. I wish I were one of those people who drinks wine. Not one of those know-it-all wine drinkers or an alcoholic wine drinker, but just a regular person who comes home to a single glass of wine to relax. I don't drink and even for one day I can't really allow myself to become a wine drinker because well, I'm not a big fan of wine. Instead of wine, I'll be in the sober corner with my coffee, day old popcorn, and Raisinets.

In the title, I write that I'm sober, but not just in the non-alcoholic sense. If you're a Christian, maybe you can relate to the type of day/time in my life that I'm having. When I say I'm sober, I mean that I've woken up and remembered today very clearly who I'm living for. Lately, I've had several days and moments where I forget that my life is not my life. It's God. I have to live out the purpose he has for me, not the one I really want to give myself. I'm sober today because it hit me that the things that are making me happy aren't what makes God happy. I'm sober now and realize that although I can write the book on my own life, it doesn't mean that things will turn out the way I wrote them in the book. Instead, God can publish his version of my book and depending on how I act, it can either be a best seller or on the bargain table as soon as it hits the stores.

Although I'll thank him tomorrow, I don't like being this sober. God is not a God of confusion, so being sober is necessary and with it, I am no longer confused. I know what I have to do. It means things in my life have to change and they are going to be painful changes. These changes are going to change the way that I think and feel. They're going to change my smile. In fact, I may not smile for a few days when the change occurs. But I'll make God happy and isn't that what this Christian journey is all about.

3 comments:

  1. Why don't you throw yourself a party? You know Jesus partied. I don't think he did the strand, the jerk or the twist or even line dancing but I know he went. However you might have trouble finding folks who want to attend your dry party.

    Me, I drinketh not. But I certainly know plenty of folk who do...christian or otherwise.

    So here's to merriment. Please let me know when the fun begins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [sigh] tell me about it, you are preaching to the choir!
    However, not all change is or has to be painful; our perception/outlook/approach helps to determine that. Good observation!
    What helps me from time to time is remembering Psalm 37:4, paraphrasing it: by delighting in the Lord, the desires of your heart will be granted. It's true! I just need to believe it more often. It is indeed one of the best natural "highs" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Sorry you feel that way. Just because you've made the choice to live for Christ. Certainly doesn't mean you have to be dry or dull. Life is what you make it, even if it means living a life different from the world. Not unless that's just your make-up. I mean if a person personality is drabby it doesn't matter if he/or she is living on the dark or light side of life. His/her life will be what it is a dud.

    Please try to remember darkness always has a way of appearing colorful or fun, deception, something satan does very well.

    Quick thinking the way the world parties is always fun and the right way. Obviously its not what it's cracked up to be or a lot of folks would still be in the flow of things. Do like the other reader suggested, throw a party and for God sake!! Perk-up!!!

    ReplyDelete