Sunday, December 6, 2009

Field Trip!

Today, I got to relive one of the best elements of childhood....I went on a field trip! At my church, I'm a member of a Sunday School class called Creative Class. The name and ministry is based on the book Creative Call by Janice Elmsheimer. The book discusses how important it is to use the creative gifts God gives you and that if you once did something like write or draw, you should begin to do it again because you're wasting your talent by not doing it. I'm blessed to be in a class with very creative people that do things like, writing, drawing, painting, sculpting, tennis instructors, jewelry makers, musicians, organizers, business professionals, photographers, graphic designers, videographers, and other bloggers just to name a few. Well today, we decided to take our class out of the classroom. All of us went to the 8 a.m. service and then went out for breakfast together and then the Akron Art Museum. The Akron Art Museum is free on the first Sunday of the month, so it was a perfect opportunity for people like me to see it for the first time.

It is always nice to see people out of the church setting because you can see them with their hair down and having fun. The most touching thing about the trip was the featured exhibit by an artist named Chuck Close. He is famous for painting and designing photo-like portraits of people. The thing that fascinated me the most about him was the fact that he had some many obstacles to overcome like being paralyzing and various learning disabilities. I love the fact that he didn't treat those things as obstacles. He knew who he was and that was an artist and that as long as he had that, he could make it through anything. I've often prayed to God for something that no matter what happened to me could help get me through anything. Something to do that would get me up in the morning. Something to keep me strong and hardworking. God often answers that prayer by putting me in positions where I can use my gifts of writing or public speaking so that I do have a reason breathing in and out everyday.

Another fun aspect of the museum is the arts and crafts opportunities that they often on the first Sunday. Today for the first time ever, I made a gingerbread house. I normally try to stay away from anything that involves me using my hands in a crafty way, but of course, on field trip today, anything goes. I made what started off as a gingerbread house and ended up being a Reindeer 'dog' gingerbread house (thanks Jacqui for the name) because it fell a few times. When it fell for the last time, all I could say was, 'I'll stick to writing.' Although I said that jokingly, the activity really confirmed for me how lost I can be having to create with anything that isn't a pen or paper or computer or even the keypad on my cellphone. But I had fun and with a group like my class that's all that matters. I haven't thanked God for my Creative Call class in a way, so let me publicly do it now. Creative Call, thank you so much for being in my life and blessing me with your friendships, love, support, and your creativity. I love you guys.

As I promised on the field trip, here are pictures of my Reindeer 'dog' gingerbread house.

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool your church brought the class to the Art Museum. Art is where it's at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your Reindeer "dog" gingerbread house looks good despite the number of times it fell, actually, it looks very yummy!
    thanks for the info. i've been wanting to check out the AAM, i did not know it was free every 1st sunday. cool deal! i'll be planning a visit soon
    your creative class sounds fun! and inspiring! God bless with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey now i can take my kids to the art museum when it's free.

    nice gingerbread house

    ReplyDelete